Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Rush it, Love it

It is hard to believe that three years ago I was on the other side of recruitment at Mizzou. I was the little freshman who was about to make one of the most important decisions that would affect me for the next four years of my life. The first morning of recruitment I stood next to other potential new members. Each of us waited in anticipation for the horn to go off. We had been told what would happen, but I don't think there would have been any amount of explaining anyone could have done to prepare us for what really happened the second the horn blew. I have never felt so overwhelmed when the first chapter busted out of their windows and doors, chanting a song that echoed the love of their sorority throughout greektown. Throughout the week I ended up talking about anything and everything I could think of, and as it is supposed to happen, the houses on my list narrowed down each morning. It came down to three. I headed to my last chapter of the day, already feeling a sense of panic when I realized the next day was the end of recruitment. After I entered the last house, I knew where I belonged. I left with a rush of happiness and genuine love for those women who I didn't even know. But soon enough, the next day in fact, I was a part of that genuine love and sisterhood.
Alpha Phi has been my foundation at Mizzou, and although it is hard to explain it (and also hard for people outside to understand it), that will always be how I feel. Growing up is scary, and knowing the women who are older than me are about to graduate is hard. They were the ones who stood in that room on the last day of recruitment and reached out to me. I can never thank them enough for my experiences at Mizzou.


Alpha Phi Seniors infront of the Chapter House on "Mock Recruitment Day."
Women in Alpha Phi walkout during "Mock Recruitment."
Best friends in Alpha Phi share a moment during "Mock Recruitment."
 
Alpha Phi waits with other Panhellenic sororities as they wait to meet their new members.
Alpha Phi "Pi Chis" proudly unveil what chapter they belong to after a week of being disaffiliated from Alpha Phi in order to be counselors for potential new members.
Seniors have fun while waiting to meet their new members at Jesse Hall.
Two new members run to the Alpha Phi after receiving their invitation to be an Alpha Phi.
Alpha Phis celebrate receiving their new members.



Alpha Phis meet with their new members, happy to see that many are women they met throughout the week of recruitment.



A new member stares up at the sorority house as the new members approach Alpha Phi.
Older Alpha Phis wait at the house to welcome the new members.

Members celebrate and welcome the new members at Alpha Phi.

No comments:

Post a Comment