Monday, October 19, 2009

Single Flash First Take

Taking on the Honest Emotion/ Interaction with a single flash assignment was definitely scary. I was worried because many said it would be a big challenge.

Below is the photo I selected for my first take with single flash.



Westminster athletes Katie Morfeld, middle hitter, and Alex Berry, outside hitter, block the ball in their match against Blackburn College on Saturday, October 17. Westminster defeated Blackburn after winning an intense third game in their match.

I shot this with an ISO of 200, shutter speed at 1/125 and aperture of f/4.8 on the daylight setting. Since my guide number is 110 and I was about 20 feet away, I set it at 5.6 at first. However, the photo looked better when I set it at 4.8. The gym was challenging to shoot in because it was so dark. I was also at an awkward angle because the gym was small so I had to work around that. For this shot I used a direct flash. I liked this photo because not only was the light even on both players, it also showed how they interact with each other during a match as well as how they interact with the other team.

If I were in this situation again, I would try to get a photo with better content. Since I was so focused on how the light looked in the photo, it was hard to also try to get a photo with strong content. I am hoping in my second take I will be able to have a better quality photo with light as well as better content in the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment