Thursday, October 22, 2009

Single Flash Second Take

When I set out for my second attempt at the single flash, I was feeling a lot better because the first time I shot I was able to get a feel of what worked and didn't work. This time I focused more on a bounced flash instead of a direct flash.

Below is the photo I selected for my second take with single flash.



Alpha Phi members Megan Geisz, freshman, and Samantha Gillstrom, sophomore, observe their work at Which Wich during decorate the district on October 21. Different Mizzou organizations participate in decorate the district every year as a part of celebrating the Mizzou Homecoming tradition.


I shot this photo with an ISO of 200, shutter speed of 1/60 and aperture of 6.7 on the daylight setting. I really liked this photo because I feel that the content is a lot better in this photo than my first take and the flash is less noticeable. I also bounced the flash off of a white card, so it made the photo look more even and not as bright. I wish that the flash didn't show up so much in the reflection of the balloons, but I don't think that it is too distracting. The sky also looks really hot because it was really gray that day. Other than that, I was pretty happy with the photo.

Although this assignment was challenging, it really helped me get a feel of how to work with a single flash outside of a comfortable environment. I was really worried about getting good content as well as have a good flash photo, but it ended up working out better than I thought that it would. All in all, I was very happy with the assignment because it forced me to go outside my comfort zone and it helped me learn a lot about single flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment