Monday, November 9, 2009

Multimedia Story- "When No One's Looking" (Reported by Ian Urbina)

When looking for a well done multimedia story, I found "When No One's Looking" on the New York Times website. This story is about the increasing number of homeless teenagers and the approaches they take on the streets in order to survive.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2009/10/25/us/1247465360380/when-no-one-s-looking.html

This story was produced by Lisa Iaboni and Amy OLeary. I thought that the introduction was creative and also felt that the audio ran really well next to the content of the photos. Both pieces worked together to keep the story strong and easy to understand. They have also included video, which helped enhance the story at certain times. I'm not sure how I feel about having the narrorator, Ian Urbina (who was also the reporter), narrating in certain parts of the story. I did feel like it helped at certain times, but it was at times hard to tell who was talking and text might have at times made more of an impact. Although there were some things that I feel could have been done differently, I really liked it overall. I think they told the story in a way that worked, and there is even a part two to the story below.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2009/10/26/us/1247465377685/when-no-one-s-looking-part-2.html

All in all, the way they reported this multimedia story gave a true look inside to homeless teenagers and told it in a way that will cause reaction to the audiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment