Thursday, November 19, 2009

Multiple Flash

For the multiple flash assignment, my group (Christina Manolis and Irene Rojas) decided to go to Studio B and take photos of two different dance classes. The room was hard to shoot in because there were a lot of mirrors as well as lights on the wall and in the ceiling that were in awkward places when we were shooting. We placed a strobe high up in a corner along the mirror and had one on the camera as well as a third one that one of us would maneuver and work with while others were shooting. Here is my select from the shoot.



 Instructor Frankie Humphrey teaches his hip hop students the next move in their routine at Studio B dance studio on November 17. The class is an hour long and focuses on hip hop.

I shot this photo with an ISO of 200, an aperture of f/ 2.8 and shutter speed of 1/90. I had one strobe set up high in the corner of the room that is behind me, and Irene held the other strobe on my right side and held it near the floor and faced it up towards Frankie, which lit his face. I like this photo because it is capturing an interesting moment and students are visible in the background. The photo makes sense in that he is instructing and they are following him. If I could have done anything differently in this shoot I would have tried to get more interesting angles, although it was hard with the mirror and the terrible looking lights that were all around the studio. Here are some other photos that I took in the studio.


 
 

 
These photos are from the flamingo classes. I had a harder time shooting that class because the mirror as well as the lights in the ceiling were distracting and it was hard to get the light just right on the women dancing. I feel like since there were three of us shooting and only two hours to get good content, we felt pressure to get things done quickly. I feel that if we had more time to experiment with the light and different angles, we would have been a little more successful. All in all, I thought this assignment was a really good way to learn how to deal with multiple flash and I will able to take what I learned from this assignment and apply it to future situations and hopefully be more successful with my photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment